Monday, October 27, 2008

True colours


This has been an introspective week for me. I have a tendency to live in the present which may be healthy for some; however, for me, it often means I am avoiding issues of the past and future. Being honest about situations which are deeply rooted in anger and resentment can be cathartic and healing.


Maybe it is the changing season which has prompted this awareness. More likely, the truth is simply overdue. This truth can be bitter or sour and hard to swallow. With time, attention, and hope, something beautiful may emerge.


I received a generous gift of local quinces from my friend Anya yesterday. Although I have never worked with quince before, I have always been curious about this aromatic golden fruit, hearing stories about its mellow transformation from acidic and astringent to pink and delicious when cooked. Following this recipe, five pounds of quince became a sweet fragrant purée, half of which will be saved for a rainy day and the other half cooked down to make quince paste (a.k.a. membrillo).

2 comments:

Cat's Journal said...

thank you for the wonderful fall inspiration! not only do the pictures look wonderful but i bet they taste even better. i actually just tried quince jelly (for the first time) and had no idea how one prepares quince!

thanks again! im going to have to look into it!

Lori said...

I so want to try quince. Tried to find it here but could not.