Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Coiffed

I have only had one haircut in my life when I went home and cried. It was in high school, during my short-hair perming years, when the nape of my neck was shaved into the shape of a V. Being much too edgy for my taste, I immediately got my mom to buzz off the point and make a nice straight line instead. Oh, what I rebel I am.


Aside from growing out my bangs and vowing never to get a perm again at age 20, my hair has simply been varying lengths of the same style. It has been as long as my waist and as short as my chin. I had a version of the Rachel at one point and it took so much work to hot-roller every day but I did it anyways. Wearing a ponytail is always a challenge because it is too thick for the average hair elastic and the weight gives me a headache. These days, the increasing prevalence of white hairs is my biggest concern.


And so, this cake really does speak for itself. Akemi loves pandas, is a hairstylist, and is delighted by the comic nature of screaming monkeys. It took extensive brainstorming to marry these three personal elements into one coherent design, but I think it worked. The hairstylist panda is made from Rice Krispies internally and everything else is fondant with royal icing details. An 8" square chocolate cake with mango mousseline is hiding underneath. You could say it is Act 2 to Akemi's previous cake in 2008!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful cake! I'm a recent subscriber to your blog. I love seeing your creativity in action!

Blessed Rain said...

love it very cute!

torturi romanesti londra said...

foarte frumos, felicitari.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charmaine,

I LOVED your BD cake again as much as two years ago! Everyone at the dinner still talk about your cake. Thank you very much for making my special day more special!!

Akemi

SarahR said...

Wow, I am loving the cakes on here. I found this from a google search about fire engine cakes !

Dominique said...

Your cakes are so lovely. I've read through your past entries and your work is stunning! I'll be making my way to cooking school soon; hopefully someday my work will match the caliber of yours. : )